Aaron Sims died of a drug overdose at age 20.
INDIANAPOLIS – The visit to the governor’s office late
Thursday afternoon was no cause for joy for Justin Phillips,
but it served an important purpose. She came to witness
history – a law named for her late son.
“Aaron’s loss will help saves lives and that’s the best that
I can do with the grief of losing my son,” said Phillips.
photo of Governor Pence signing “Aaron’s Law” by Jeremy Brilliant
“This is going to make the overdose antidote available everyone and anyone without a lot of barrier,” said Phillips. “Really, no barrier at all.”
An estimated 1,400 heroin users have been saved by police and emergency medical technicians using Narcan, the hope is even more people will get the second chance Aaron Sims was never given.
Narcan, an antidote for a heroin overdose, will be available to all under “Aaron’s Law.”
Now that police, medical responders and everyone else has the ability to save someone from a heroin overdose, Justin says now she’s going to focus her efforts on helping addicts break their addictions.