The Brain and the Disease of Addiction Program and Trainer Course
The Brain and the Disease of Addiction Trainer Course will teach you how to deliver the program within your community(ies).
What You Will Learn
You will acquire a foundational understanding of how the brain is affected from substances such as drugs and alcohol. How the disease of addiction develops. Understanding of brain neuroplasticity and how through treatment and recovery the brain can change/reset.
The program materials available for download from the Presenter Resource Center include: Presentation Powerpoint with Presenter Notes and attendee leave behind - Quick Reference Sheet(s).
To become certified as a trainer for this course the following prerequisite is required:
Removing the Shame and Stigma of SUD, 3.0 CE Credits.
CE Credit and Certificate
Trainers will receive layperson and clinician CE credit for the online courses completed during training through Purdue University College of Pharmacy, Office of Continuing Education.
I. Addiction/Substance Use Disorder Historical View
II. Definition of Addiction
A. ASAM - Detailed
III. Number of Americans Affected, Treatment Gap,
Barriers, and Recommendations
IV. Cause and Risk Factors
V. Effects on the Brain
A. Regions of the Brain Functions
B. Limbic System and the Reward Pathway
C. Dopamine and Neurotransmitters
D. Reliance, Tolerance and Self Control
E. Brain is Rewired
F. Effect on the Survival Hierarchy
G. Putting it all Together
VIII. Neuroplasticity – The Brain’s Ability to
IX. Drug Classifications
IX. Activity (online)
X. End Notes and Resources
Trainer, Training Process
The trainer process is highly accessible, allowing someone to complete the training online and to be able to deliver the program locally in a short period of time. To earn trainer designation, individuals complete one or more prerequisite courses and program training via the web. The training for this Trainer program includes:
- Register: You will be asked to register as a trainer/facilitator of the program.
- Prerequisite: You will complete the prerequisite course as the first part of your training process.
- Program Course: Then you will take the Brain and the Disease of Addiction online course to help familiarize yourself with the concepts and information.
- Resource Center: Access to the Trainer Resource Center and program materials.
- Coaching & Technical Assistance: Once you have completed steps 1-4, a live web meeting will be scheduled to review the program materials and toolset to help prepare you for your first delivery of the program.
Program and Training Pricing
Training — $225/person
- Prerequisite: Removing the Shame and Stigma of Substance Use Disorder, 3.0 CE Credits online course — $45/person
- Training: The Brian and the Disease of Addiction online course (2.0 CE Credits) and live web training — $150/person
- Course Kit: $30/person (Printed course materials, 50+ pages)
Interested in Becoming a Delivery Partner for this Program - or Have Questions?
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org | 844-554-3354 or click on the "Interested - Please Contact Me" button, complete a brief form and an Overdose Lifeline team member will contact you to answer your questions, review the presenter/trainer program details and talk about next steps.